Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Preschool Peace

When my boys were preschool aged, life could be a little chaotic.

Two boys. Not quite thirteen months apart. Whew!

There were many temper tantrums, a number of fights, a whole slew of "stubbing up", and the word "ME" used in epic proportions.

Oh, and there was discipline.

Lots and Lots and LOTS of discipline.

I remember on a particularly chaotic day I had done more disciplining than anything else. In fact, that whole week had been more discipline than anything else.

I was tired and wondered if it would ever get any better. Would the rest of my life be like this? Would I ever just be able to enjoy my time with these two little stinkers or would I always have to be firm and consistent and never let down my guard, even for a teeny, tiny second?

Reaching the end of myself, I put the Write Bros to bed for nap and called my mom. This was not long after our move from Tennessee to Georgia. Her house had been five steps from mine. Now, it was a seven hour drive away.

But we had unlimited long distance, so I called her up pronto and lamented. I proclaimed, "Mom, I need a break! Do you think FedEx would overnight these children to you?!"

They don't. I checked.

But it was our little joke for quite some time.

I imagine somewhere out there on the other side of my computer screen that there is another young mom, just like I was. You have corrected, trained, wiped up messes, fixed boo-boo's, calmed tantrums, broken up arguments, wrestled the resistant, warded off disasters, and generally not stopped all day. Or all week. Or maybe since you gave birth to your first child.

But don't stop.

Don't give up.

Don't despair.

You can't overnight your children to Grandma but if you are in Christ, you can confidently draw near to the throne of grace that you may receive mercy and find grace for timely help. (Heb 4:16)

Each time you do all those hard, child-training things, you are doing the will of God. You are Mommy, and your ministry is motherhood. And God has said that he will neither leave you nor forsake you. (Heb 13:5)

Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing. Give thanks in all things for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus toward you. (1Th 5:16-18)

Remember how blessed you are to be a mother. Sing Psalms and hymns. Thank God for granting you the greatest privilege a woman can have. And do these things with your little ones beside you. Even on the days that things are hard. Sing, pray, and praise God in the midst of it all. Don't wait for a quiet time because it may never come.

And know that it does get easier.

Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him. (Prov 13:24) Little by little, you will see the results of training. Certainly foolishness has not yet been driven completely from the hearts of mine, but each year I see a little more wisdom. Grace continues to abound, and my boys are growing in it. It is a beautiful thing to experience and well worth those weary days.

3 comments:

argsmommy said...

We're out of the preschool years, but it's still timely wisdom.

Heather said...

I am s l o w l y leaving those years, but I would escape to the sewing closet and repeat to myself as I was sewing, "sowing, sowing, sowing." We will be reaping what we sow and we need to be diligent and faithful to sow and sew, if need be:)

Laura at By the Bushel said...

This was... mmm.. we're you watching me today? 2 boys 6/3. can I just say, it get's a little crazy around here, & my friends with girls... they sit and peacefully make 'pot-holder's' and beg to do school work, and decorate, and well, do things my boys don't do. Thanks for this psot. I neeeeeedded it today.