Saturday, June 21, 2008

Weary in Well Doing

I have started planning for next school year and felt really tired today. There have been several ways the Lord has called me to help others in the past two months, taking time away from my planning. The books have been arriving and piling up, making me feel discouraged. I prayed for encouragement, and it came in the most special way.

After I spent about an hour planning, I left my room to get a drink and looked across the hall to our "classroom." There was Bruster on the floor with a book, "oohing" and "aahing." I asked him what he was doing. He said, "I found the science book for next year and just couldn't wait." He was already reading the lessons on his own and was excited about the prospect of the study on Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day by Jeannie Fulbright. For the next fifteen minutes or so, he kept pointing out pictures and activities in the text, telling me he could not wait to read more about this or to do that. Then, he said the sweetest thing. "I know we will do all the good stuff, Mom. School is really fun with you."

The Lord is so sweet. His will is so perfect. I was reminded in that moment that my work is not in vain and that it is not all about those lesson plans. Home schooling is the opportunity to disciple our children from birth to adulthood, experiencing the blessings of a close relationship with each of them. May I do as Galatians 6:9 says, and "not grow weary in well doing, for in due season, we will reap, if we faint not."

No comments: