Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Fun with the Flute

Writing my review for Maestro Classics brought to mind the moment I knew I wanted to play the flute.

In the third grade, I had the cutest little teacher. Seriously, she was little... about 4' 8". I have always been tall, so we were almost eye-to-eye. She liked to square dance and would wear her darling gingham square dancing skirt to school every Friday. When we finished our lessons, we would move the desks to the back wall and create a dance floor. We paired up, and she taught us to dosey doe.

She loved to dance and she loved music. She introduced us to many different styles, from country to classical. One day, she brought in a recording of Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf. I loved the bird theme, played by the flute. It was then that I knew I wanted to learn the flute. Little did I know that one day my third grade son and I would enjoy bird watching together, too. All that reminiscing made me want to share Peter and the Wolf with my sons, so I went to YouTube.


I found the video below, and my jaw hit the floor. I have no idea how he manages to beat box while playing the flute. I would hyperventilate and hit the floor, only after hitting many bad notes first. I don't know the performer or anything about him or his music, other than I like this particular performance. So don't take this as an endorsement. But, I hope you will enjoy this as much as I did.





Since I am taking the time to write a little about my life as a flautist, let me share the piece I am currently learning, Bach's Badinerie. Bach gave flautists a gift when he composed his Suite No.2. It is not as easy to play as this video makes it look. That's what makes a professional. They can take something very complicated and make it look so simple. One day, probably when I am about eighty, I will finally master the piece and post my own video. I have to stop hyperventilating and passing out first. :) Enjoy.

2 comments:

argsmommy said...

That first clip is amazing! I've never seen anything like that.

When I joined band in 6th grade I wanted to play the flute, but I was assigned clarinet instead. I liked the clarinet, but I never got over being rejected for the flute. : ) I haven't played my clarinet since high school, so when I pulled it out from under the bed a few months ago to show my kids, I couldn't believe how hard it was just to try to form proper embouchure. I sounded worse than I did in 6th grade. : ) So I'm very impressed (and jealous) that you are learning such a beautiful piece.

homeschooldawn said...

I'm sorry you didn't get to play flute. We weren't assigned but got to pick our instruments. Bummer... but I doubt your skills are as bad as you say.

I have continued to play the flute since high school, though I never took lessons in college. Just played in church or at weddings. I used to practice a lot more but since becoming mommy... not so much. So don't be too jealous! With the little bit of practice I get here and there, it really will take me until I'm eighty to get it down! Right now, I play it v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y with lots of bad notes. Maybe I will video a practice session and post it. It might be funny to track my progress over the next 40 years. :)