Monday, August 9, 2010

Not Back to School Blog Hop: Our Classroom

Not Back to School Blog Hop

It's School Room Week at the Not Back-to-School Blog Hop.  The Olive Plants' classroom has not changed much from last year.   Except for this wall...



Before



After
(Please forgive the picture quality. I think my camera was damaged when I was assaulted by all the water at Six Flags!)

I am sooooo excited to have a white board in our classroom.  I have always wanted one and have pondered lots of ideas for how it could be used, but never bought one because of the price.  Then I watched one of the IEW Teaching Writing sessions, and Mr. Pudewa explained the many uses and benefits of a white board in a homeschool classroom.

I agree, Mr. Pudewa!  I agree!

He explained how to acquire a white board affordably, too.  There's a material you can buy at a home improvement store and put on your wall.  His explanation was much better than mine because I am home-improvement challenged and really only heard wah-wah-wah-wah-wah HOME DEPOT wah-wah-wah-wah-wah. 

That's "wah-wah-wah-wah" like the teacher in the Peanuts cartoons.

Though Mr. Pudewa is far more articulate than that.  I'm just hearing-impaired when it comes to DIY instructions.
 
In fact, I understand about as much of what is said on Telemundo as I do HGTV.

Anyway... I also recognized the words "costs less than $20." so I took off for sent my husband to Home Depot, and he asked the guys what we he needed to buy and for step-by-step instructions on how we he could mount it to the wall.  They got us him exactly what we he needed, cut it to the right dimensions, and it only cost $12!!  Woo Hoo!!!

Thank you, Honey!

Thank you, Home Depot Guys!

Thank you, Mr. Pudewa!

This has been a real blessing because I use it to list our daily schedule, and we list words for IEW on it, too.  I'm sure more uses will present themselves, too.  With life being extra, extra busy right now, having a daily schedule writen in a highly visible spot is a life-saver. 

I won't attempt to give the DIY instructions since that is not my forte, but as the Home Depot commercials say, "You can do it.  We can help."

Or is that Lowe's?

Either way, if you're like me, it is probably more accurate to say, "Your husband can do it, and they can help him!"   lol!

Happy Teaching,
Dawn

p.s.  In case anyone from the FCC should read this, I was not compensated for writing this article and will not receive a commission should you or your husband visit your neighborhood Home Depot or Lowe's for this or any other product.  Thank you. 

15 comments:

Heather said...

oh, I love your board!! I have to show my husband tonight. I want to do that:)Hope you have a great year. PS: I know exactly what you mean about the peanuts talk....I seem to be noticing I feel like that more and more often lately!

Sam said...

Great reason to buy a new camera! ;)

Rana said...

I love dry erase boards. They are very helpful tools. Have a great year!

Tristan said...

We love the board too, and I even did a DIY post about our when we made them, so here it is in pretty non-technical language:
http://ourbusyhomeschool.blogspot.com/2009/06/diy-dry-erase-boards.html

Miller Moments said...

Love your white board!!

Jenn said...

yep, love the white board!!!

Debbie said...

That's a great board! And for only $12! I like your disclaimer too. :)

Amanda American Girl said...

love the big whiteboard

Stef said...

what a great wall! We have a chalkboard rather than dry erase.

Stef
http://laytonfamilyjoy.com

Sheri said...

I have just installed one of the HD boards too-and I think I saw workboxes there....LOL, my workboxaholic eyes found that. :0)
Have a super year and thanks for sharing.

Celee said...

I love the white bard, too! Since this is my first year to use a bulletin board, we'll see how that goes, but may need to move to a white board next year.

Celee

Four Little Penguins said...

I always love your schoolroom pictures! And I wanted to let you know that I have an award for you on my blog.

Kellie said...

We added a white board to our classroom this year too, and it is a wonderful addition. I wish mine could be as large as yours but we have very little wall space. I still haven't watched my IEW DVDs but now I'm looking forward to finding out some new uses for the board.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love your white board!

Anonymous said...

I am SOOO jealous of your dry erase board!!! How nice!