Saturday, June 14, 2008

Murphy's Law

Anything that can go wrong... will, right? That's how it felt around here this week.

First, the right side of the kitchen sink developed a leak. We decided that this was not the worst thing that could happen and we would just use the other side until we could get the leak remedied. This worked... until the left side started leaking too. Then, a tiny pin-hole developed in the spout. Now water was spraying out over the sink onto the counter and floor. But wait... there's more. The dishwasher stopped working and started spewing soapy bubbles. My kitchen was becoming a slip-n-slide. After cleaning up the water mess, I tried to plug in my crock pot and start dinner... no juice. The outlet was as dead as a doornail. I decided to leave the kitchen until the repairMEN could come, so I sat down at the computer to get some work done. Now, the printer would not print. Soon after which, we found out that two walls in our house were in need of repair. With our house for sale, this made me want to scream.

None of this is the worst that could happen, but all of it compounded made me feel ill. I began to worry if our very old house on a very busy street will ever sell. I began to wrestle with the flesh, wanting to control these seemingly out-of-control situations. But instead, I took a quick retreat to my room where I have my quiet time. After time in the Word and in prayer, my frustrations were eased as the Spirit reminded me of what all I do have.

This blog is dedicated to those very things. First, I have the Lord, Jesus Christ, who is my all in all. He has saved me from my sin and called me His own. He has given me a faithful husband who loves me unconditionally. I have the blessing of two sons who are immeasurable in value. I have the joy of being with them everyday, experiencing the Lord at work in their lives. You cannot buy that.

So, the next time Mr. Murphy comes knocking at my door, I pray for the strength to tell him, "Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world- the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does- comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever." 1 John 2:15-17

No comments: