Thursday, April 1, 2010

Product Review: Sue Gregg Cookbooks

Photobucket

I received Sue Gregg's Introducing Whole Foods Cooking for this review.


This is a very thorough book for newcomers to whole foods cooking. It contains useful information from getting started and organizing your kitchen to nutritional information and sample menus. And of course, it contains recipes.

Of the 26 recipes included, we tried 17. I asked every one in the family to rate each item on a scale of 1 to 10 immediately after eating it. All of the recipes averaged an 8 from our family. With the picky bunch that lives at my house, that is a really high score.

I also give the recipes an average of 8 out of 10 for ease of preparation. I only had difficulty finding one ingredient. The rest I either had on hand or was able to find at my local supermarket for a reasonable price. My grocery budget did not suffer as a result of cooking from this book.

Although I am not completely sold on whole foods, some of the recipes from this book have become family favorites. My boys ask for Taco Chips Ole on a weekly basis. My husband loves Tuna Bunsteads, and I am a fan of Fruit Cole Slaw, Orange Tossed Salad, and Sweet Lite Dressing. The dressing is fabulous and only has 22 calories per Tbsp. Seeing how it only takes about 1 minute to whip up a batch of it, I have not bought pre-made salad dressing since receiving this book.

If you are an experienced whole foods cook, this is not the book for you. The majority of it focuses on the how's and why's behind whole food. If you are a whole foods newbie, you will find everything you need to make a whole foods transition in this great book.

Sue Gregg offers a number of other cookbooks, including Breakfasts, Lunches and Snacks, and Meals in Minutes. All of her cookbooks are reasonably priced, and except for the introductory book I received, offer a good number of recipes. Introducing Whole Foods is available at the Sue Gregg Cookbooks site for $17.  You can find more information on whole food cooking and Sue Gregg Cookbooks by clicking here.

I received the product mentioned in this review for free in order to provide an honest review. I have received no other compensation.

No comments: