Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Plan-It School Series: The Conclusion!

The plans were in place.

The classroom was in order.


The children were excited.

Mom was well-rested.

And Dad was raring to go.



The first day of the 2009-2010 school year was picture perfect at the Olive Plant house. I opened my planner at 8 a.m. and glided from one lesson to the next.



There was singing.

There was dancing.


There was reading and discussing, writing and drawing. It was like a big, bright ray from heaven was shining down on our little classroom.


Then it happened.


Road crews stopped in front of our house at 10 p.m. and worked until 6 a.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.



We thought they were finished until they came back for an encore performance the following Monday and Tuesday.


The walls vibrated.
The furniture rattled.



Beeping sounds echoed up and down and up and down the street all night. Lights flashed through the windows so frequently that we felt like we were at

a disco!

In other words, there was no sleeping at our house for five full nights.

It is so nice when our days come together perfectly, and we can easily follow our plans just as we wrote them. From time to time, there are days like that, and it feels good to experience the fruit of our labor. However, these are not the days for which lesson plans are really intended.

Lesson plans serve a better purpose on those days when life is hard. When the unexpected brings me down, they serve as a reminder of the important job God has given me. They remind me that what I do or don't do today will affect tomorrow. They prompt me to "get over myself" and to pray for the grace to do what God wills. Sometimes that means doing more than I thought possible through Christ who is my strength. Sometimes it means relinquishing that which I thought was so important. Some days I want to give up but am reminded that God's grace is sufficient, and others, I must lay my plans at the Throne of Grace and pray, "Not my will but yours."

So as I end this series on lesson planning, I want to encourage you to be mindful of the fact that planning is not about being perfect. It is about being prepared. When the hard times come, don't feel defeated. Don't look at your plans and think all is lost because things didn't turn out exactly as you hoped. Instead remember that "man's mind plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." (Prov 16:9)

Planning is prudent. "The plans of the diligent lead surely to abundance, but everyone who is hasty comes only to poverty." (Prov 21:5) However, complaining, particularly because our plans are interrupted, is rooted in pride.
"Come now who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such town and spend a year there and make a profit'- yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, 'If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.' As it is you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil." (Jam 4:13-16)

Now that they are complete, let's not boast in our plans. Instead let's start each day with the words "Lord willing" and end each one with gratitude for all He has given us and done for us.

Thank you for reading the Plan-It School series. I am praying that the Lord will bless your hard work this school year and prosper you and your family for His glory.

Blessings,

Dawn
*Photo credits: from http://www.freefoto.com/ as marked, all others (excluding #1-3 from http://www.photobucket.com/

4 comments:

Heather said...

This post should have been your not-me Monday post. LOL. poor you, no sleep. I'm so so sorry!

argsmommy said...

Perfect ending for a well-written series. Thank you, Dawn.

Heather said...

Thanks so much for the Plan-It series. Much of what I am doing this year is thanks to HSD! You rock!

Unknown said...

Thank you for viewing my blog!! Your Plan-It School Series is awesome!! So sorry for sleepless nights!!!! :(