Saturday, July 17, 2010

Nostalgia: Looking Back While Moving Forward

We will begin the 2010-2011 school year in two weeks.  This is a landmark year for us because Orville begins middle school . . .  

a step forward which makes me want to go back. 

I want to go back to when I could hold him in my arms  His baby pictures make me cry. 

I want to go back to when his little hand fit just inside mine.  I have to remind myself often that I do not need to hold it while walking in a parking lot any more. 

I want to go back to the days of snuggling on the couch while watching Blues Clues.  I am learning not to give him big, slobbery kisses in front of his friends or call him names like "Boo Bear" and "Mommy's Binky Boy".

It's sad.  I know.  But I am growing right along side him, learning to be the mother he needs for each season of his life.  By God's grace, I am letting go a little at a time and moving forward in faith.

I know I can't go back. but, as I proceed, I can take a little time to look back and remember those sweet days.  In fact, I have been putting together a portfolio of Orville's elementary school work and am creating movies to include in it from video footage filmed over the past six years. 

For the next two or three weeks, I will not have much time for writing because I have begun a part-time, temporary job teaching English to Korean children who live in our town.  We will also start our new year of homeschool in two weeks, and in mid-August, our homeschool association will hold its annual "kick-off" meeting.  I am responsible for coordinating this meeting.  Plus, we are having a big birthday party for Wilbur's 10th birthday before school starts!

I had to breathe into a brown paper bag as I typed that all out and I know my time in the blogosphere will be limited until mid-August.  Until then, I plan to share the movies I am making so I won't have to put Olive Plants into hybernation. 

So, as I look forward to a new year of new responsibilities, please join me as I take a look back.  In a few weeks, I will be back to journaling our school days and sharing teaching tips.  Until then, please enjoy this new segment called Nostalgia.

For those of you who knew my babies back when they were actually babies, feel free to have a good cry as you watch them grow before your eyes.  I sure have.

You can laugh too 'cause they were hysterical little people!

Here is the first Nostalgia video of Orville and Wilbur when they were in Kindergarten and pre-school.





Please excuse them.  They were still learning manners.

On second thought . . .

maybe growing up isn't such a bad thing afterall . . . .

Happy Remembering!
Dawn 

2 comments:

Celee said...

My oldest is in 6th grade this year, too. I'm so glad I'm not packing him off to middle school!!

Btw Dawn, I posted on my community that I want to send you that attributes of God book. You can use the contact me page of my blog to give me your address.

Kellie said...

LOL, they are too cute!

You know, it never really hit me last year that Anna was in middle school, but by the end of the year it was just obvious because of her changing interests and behavior. It's fun to watch them grow up, but it is still so sad. : (