Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Eyes Have It

Actually, it's just one eye that has it, and according to the ophthalmologist, it won't have it permanently.

All damage is on the surface of the eye and the eyelid.  There was hemorrhaging which is a good sign.  If there had been no internal bleeding, it would have indicated damage to the interior eye, meaning dead cells and irreparable damage. 

He prescribed a steroid eye drop to be taken in addition to two other drops given to me at the ER.  He also prescribed a topical cream for my eye lid.  Ah...heavenly relief! 

There is one minor concern.  There is "fluid" under the cornea which is causing my vision to be a bit hazy.  He said it will most likely clear up on its own but could take as long as two months.  If it does not clear within two to three months, we will have to talk about further treatment.  This could involve surgery, so please pray for my vision to return to normal soon.

The good news is that the swelling and redness has decreased significantly.  My eye is starting to look normal again.  The eyelid feels better and the redness and scaring is clearing.  My vision is still a little blurry but improved. 

Overall, I am rejoicing and know that God has been merciful!  When I felt the soap hit my eye, I immediately cried out to Him.  I had done my homework before I began soaping so I knew the possible ramifications, among them blindness.  As I flushed my eye with water, I asked the Lord to make it effective and to remove the chemical quickly before it could "burn through" the cornea.  He was pleased to do so, and I give Him praise. 

I was not able to attend worship on Easter Sunday; however, while at home doctoring my wounds, I had plenty of time to contemplate the wounds of Jesus by which I am healed (Isaiah 53:5).  I am thankful that this perishable body of mine has been clothed with the imperishable.  (1Cor 15:53)

Thank you for your continued prayers.  Hopefully I will return to regularly scheduled programming soon!

Blessings,
Dawn

2 comments:

Melissa Lester said...

Dawn, what a frightening experience! I will keep you in prayer and hope that your recovery will be swift and complete.

Kellie said...

Praise God there is no permanent damage. I will continue to pray for healing and no need for surgery.

(((lots of hugs)))