Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Product Review: Christian Keyboarding

Christian Keyboarding was born from a desire to provide touch-typing method curricula that incorporate Christian texts. I was sent their Keyboarding for the Christian School, designed for 6 graders and older, and the Elementary Version for younger children. Both curricula are no frills programs that thoroughly cover the basic skills and provide the necessary drills needed to reach proficiency.

Photobucket


Keyboarding for the Christian School took me back to my middle school years when I took a similar touch-typing course. I can type faster than I can talk and accredit my skills to three years of the systematic instruction I received in school. Keyboarding for the Christian School embraces the same effective techniques I learned from but has made the study even more profitable by having students type Bible passages or excerpts from Christian texts when applicable. I appreciate how the program offers students another time in their school day to meditate on God's Word.

The curriculum offers more than the traditional touch-typing course, however. It is up-to-date and encompasses more than just "typing" to meet the needs of the 21st Century college-bound student. It covers the 10 key pad, setting margins, using APA and MLA, writing footnotes and a bibliography, and formatting a business letter.



Photobucket

The Elementary Version is similar in style. There are no bells and whistles, but the methodology has been effective in my experience. My boys like being on the computer for any and all reasons, bells and whistles or not, so they enjoyed it. If you think your child would enjoy something that feels less like school work, this might not be the program for you.

Overall, I think Keyboarding for the Christian School and the Elementary Version are very good and give them two thumbs up. They are reasonably priced at $15.95 and $12.95 respectively and can be purchased here.

Please visit the TOS Homeschool Crew blog for links to my crewmates' reviews.

I received both products mentioned in this review for free. I have received no other compensation and have offered my honest opinion.

No comments: