Sunday, January 10, 2010

90 Day Challenge: Week 2

This was the second week of our reading challenge but the first week we had a reading assignment every day. Michael and Orville did great! They read every assignment on time. I was unable to read half of the assignment for the day twice this week, putting me essentially one day behind.

As I type this update, I am suffering from sciatica pain. I can only sit semi-comfortably in our recliner and have very limited mobility. It seems today that the Lord would have me literally be still and know that He is God, so here I sit doing a little typing in between reading. I am almost caught up.

We finished Genesis early in the week. The history of Joseph and his brothers, the reunion with Benjamin and Jacob, the reconciliation, the provision for God's people… it's just one of my favorite sections of the Bible. Reading about Joseph's life always causes me to reflect on God's sovereignty and on his providential care. What a loving, merciful, covenant-keeping, and great God we serve!

We also read all of Exodus. Michael and Orville finished yesterday, and I finished today. Once again, God's power, sovereignty, and providential care jump off the pages. He is holy. He is just. He is merciful. He deserves the richest of worship, as He has mandated and not as we see fit. He leads us by day and by night. He provides for our needs and gives us a day to rest, worship, and reflect on his mercies. He is good, and we are blessed to be His people.

I am about to begin my reading in Leviticus. By next Sunday, Lord willing, we will have completed Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. I must admit these are books I find difficult to read thoroughly. I am praying for the grace to read attentively, for a mindset of valuing all of God's Word and not just the parts that "move" me, and that I will continue to see God's goodness and faithfulness as I finish the books of Moses.

Happy Reading!

Dawn

1 comment:

argsmommy said...

I hope you're feeling better! But it is interesting how God uses those moments to draw us back to Him.