Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Year-Round School

We finished our first six weeks of school last Friday. During the first six weeks, the boys created a pop-up book about the first five judges of Israel, created maps for 12 U.S. states, and negotiated a compromise similar to America's Missouri Compromise among their Birdieland residents (see previous post on government project to better understand this). They completed the first half of their Grammar All-Stars tasks, wrote a short-story for the Subway writing contest (I will post these stories next week, Lord willing), and read 25 chapters of Little Pilgrim's Progress. They also learned about bodies of water and general information about aquatic creatures and more specific lessons on whales and created an ocean-life box. Plus there were many math skills, Spelling, Art, Latin, and Japanese. It was a really productive six weeks, and we met our goals in every area except for the study on Around the World in Eighty Days. I kept struggling to make time for it and had to re-evaluate, deciding it would have to wait for another unit.
Now we are enjoying a two week break. I have had time to give my house a thorough cleaning and close out the "business" end of the six-week unit. I have completed grades and calculating the money that I owe the boys for completing assignments and reaching goals. I have also had time to attend to responsibilities I hold within my local home school association. We even had a day to spend with our Nohnie (that's my mom's grandma name... long story) on a field trip. Next week I will use my days to get prepared for the next six-week unit.
I am really glad that I decided to start school in July and try the six-weeks-on, two-weeks-off approach. About week five we started to feel the burn but were able to see the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak, and found it easier to persevere through the next week knowing a break was in sight. I am really glad to have this time off to regroup. I think we have found the school schedule that best suits our needs. I will post more on our year-round approach throughout the year.
I have added a poll about when everyone is starting or has started school. Scroll to the bottom of this page to find it and add your answer. There are 2 days left to answer. Have fun!

No comments: