GyMathtics from Exploramania is a fun, DVD workout for kids that has them practicing math skills as they exercise.
The complete program includes four segments:
- Shape Stretches Warm Up
- Counting Calisthenics
- Pattern Power
- Well-Being Wind Down
In each segment, the adult instructor and her four young assistants demonstrate how to complete each exercise. Each exercise incorporates bending or moving to resemble a geometric shape, skip counting along with movements, or forming patterns. While the team completes the repetitions, math lessons are taught through graphics that appear on-screen while a voice-over teacher gives further explanation.
I thought GyMathtics had many good qualities:
- Integrating math and exercise
- Helpful graphics
- Good explanation of math concepts
- Exercises and number of reps are appropriate for young children
- Staggering of exercise and math instruction so they do not compete for your attention
- Good, easy-to-follow instructions
- Modestly dressed instructor and participants
- Repetitive music
- Wind Down segment is a little too "self-helpish" for my liking
Overall, I give GyMathtics two thumbs up. Orville and Wilbur both enjoyed it. They have already mastered the majority of the math skills covered. That did not hinder their enjoyment. As they explained to me "math makes exercising more fun". They gave the DVD an average score of 7 out of 10.
I received one copy of GyMathics for free for the purpose of completing this review. I have received no other compensation and have offered my honest evaluation of this product. Your experience could differ from mine. Please visit the TOS Homeschool Crew blog to read what my crewmates have to say about this and other homeschool-related products.