Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Let's Go Krogering!

Thrifty Thursday


One of the biggest money savers for our family is the Kroger 1-2-3 Rewards Master Card. I earn 1 point per $1 spent anywhere Master Card is accepted. I earn 2 points per $1 spent at any Kroger store. I earn 3 points per $1 spent on Kroger brand items. For every 1000 points, I get a $10 rebate check that I may use toward future Kroger store purchases.

I used to be very hesitant about using credit cards. I always perceived them as a temptation to bite off more than I could chew. For the first few years we were married, Michael and I had one credit card that we kept in a safe so that we would only use it for true emergencies. We have learned, however, that as long as we spend carefully and pay in full each month, we can make our credit cards work for us.

At the end of each quarter, we receive rebate checks from Kroger. We always get at least $80 but have gotten as much as $120. Since we get these checks four times per year, our average rebate is $400 per year which is about 3 weeks worth of free groceries for us. This has worked better for us than other credit card rewards because I am Kroger-loyal and buy as much Kroger brand as possible, so the points really add up. Individual results would of course vary depending on the amount you charge per month and how often you go Krogering!

For more details, visit the customer service desk at your local Kroger store or go to http://www.krogerpersonalfinance.com/credit-cards/.

1 comment:

Molly said...

Dawn,
I didn't know about this. Thanks for posting!
Molly