I started my new blog, The Thorn and the Flesh, a few months ago to track my weight-loss and health progress. I found it hindered my progress instead of motivating me as I had hoped. I just can't keep up with two web addresses it seems.
So I am going to blog my progress and write updates about my condition here and make The Thorn and the Flesh an on-going topic rather than an independent blog.
I have been dabbling with dieting for a year now, experiencing a yo-yo effect. The biggest factor that works against me is exercise. Because of my chronic pain, it is just really hard for me to do consistently. I will exercise for a few weeks until it finally renders me immobile. For example, last Friday I decided to go for a walk at the track across the street from where my sons take tennis lessons. I thought it would be an ideal time and place for me to exercise.
I walked two moderately-paced laps but started hobbling about a quarter of the way through the 2nd. By the time I was done, I could barely move. Sciatica was attacking with full force, and there was a burning, stabbing pain in my foot that was so bad it felt as if I had dropped something heavy on it...like there was a broken bone. I was in that much pain for four days...mostly bed-bound, had to cancel Saturday plans and miss Sunday worship.
This week I felt determined to find a weight-loss and exercise plan that would work for me. Here is what I did this week with good results.
- I went swimming twice. I bought a membership a local indoor, olympic-sized pool. I have tried this before and given up because it eats up a lot of time, especially in the winter when we must dry and change before leaving. But I have decided that it is worth the time and effort and must be given priority. I have realized that I do not enjoy swimming laps either. Boring. So I use water weights and tread water while exercising my arms. I can do this for about 30 mins without stopping and enjoy it. Very much like water aerobics (my sad adaptation), and I can do it without intense pain.
- I am tracking my daily caloric intake at My Fitness Pal. I have tried other paid membership sites which have worked for me before but after I lose about 15 pounds, I start to think I can do it on my own without having to spend $15ish each month. That's when my weight goes back up...each and every time. This free service has made it really easy for me to track what I eat and know that I am staying within a proper range.
- And really this should be listed first...I am praying on a regular basis about my health and this diet. I have pinpointed two things that are real temptations for me and am committing them to prayer daily and as the temptation arises. I admit my weakness and total dependence upon God in all things and ask for your prayers, too. I will list some specific requests in a minute.
This week I lost.... (drum roll, please)
Woo HOO!! Today, btw, is Orville's 11th birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ORVILLE! And I got a great weight-loss present! (He's getting an IPod...shh, don't say anything. He'll open it tonight and I'll post pictures later, Lord willing)
Even thought that is a great start, there is a long road to travel before I reach my goal. I ask for your prayers and will end each weigh-in with specific prayer requests. Thank you for praying for me. If you are struggling with weight loss or chronic pain, please feel free to leave your requests in comments, and I will pray for you, too. Please pray that...
- Swimming will continue to be a form of exercise I can do without having to be bed-bound afterward.
- For strength of character- no excuses about swimming, even in cold months. I will do what is necessary and work as unto the Lord.
- For the mortification of my flesh and my ongoing sanctification through this process.
- For the healing of my body and the absence of chronic pain.
- That God would be glorified.
Thanks for reading and for praying.
Happy (I can't believe I'm saying this) Dieting and Exercising!